Contact JRJ Simulation &
Ramona, Jeffrey, and I are lucky enough to live
in the exquisitely beautiful Santa Cruz mountains. I make my living
as a consultant, and find consulting to be a wonderful way to balance
financial necessities with family responsibilities and my research
interests. I have a great love of competent and ethical interdisciplinary
research in physics and biology. I TAd university courses
at the undergraduate level for eight years, and I love and respect
teaching as a way-of-life. I also love music and have played classical
and flamenco guitar for most of my life.
Personal No-Nos: Egotism; arrogance; intentional
misrepresentation and dishonesty in science, acadamia, and industry.
Personal Yess: Respect for all life; excellence
in all disciplines; truthfulness and integrity in all endeavors.
What is worth doing, is worth doing well.
My graduate research involved modeling of dolphin biosonar and hearing.
This work included development of combined acoustic simulation and
extrapolation programs; development of a novel method for modeling
the physical properties of mammalian tissues from x-ray CT data; study
of the anatomy of the dolphin forehead and lower jaw tissues; and
investigation of the acoustical mechanisms of dolphin biosonar and
hearing via simulation.
My industry research involves a wide range of projects, including
ultrasonic transducer simulation and design, finite-element multi-physics
simulation and numerical modeling, and electro-mechanical sensor design
and optimization. I am an expert in the design of resistive and capacitive
touchscreens, in the application of simulation for design rule investigation
and design optimization, in parametric design code development, in
the measurement of thin-film surface resistivity distributions, and
in the design and analysis of electro-mechanical actuators. I have
also worked in the design and analysis of optical MEMS devices.
Ph.D., Physics, University of California,
Santa Cruz, 1996
M.S., Physics, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1990
B.S., Physics, Sonoma State University, 1987
2001-Present. Senior Consulting Physicist,
JRJ Simulation & Design.
- FEA modeling and optimization of piezoelectric transducers.
- Advanced R&D on all phases of acoustic, resistive, and surface
capacitive computer touchscreen design and manufacturing.
- Long series of successful device optimizations.
- Invented novel method for rapidly and accurately mapping thin-film
trical surface resistivity distributions.
- Authored custom simulation and engineering parametric design
- Authored research articles on three-dimensional simulations
biosonar signal emission and hearing.
- Assisted research groups applying my bioacoustic simulation
- Sole or co-inventor on several patents.
2000-2001. Physicist, MuSquared, Inc.
- Performed ZEMAX optical simulations of MEMS optical
- Developed and applied MATLAB programs for electro-mechanical
and thermal-structural analysis of MEMS actuators.
- Developed and applied ANSYS finite element electro-mechanical
and thermal-structural simulations of MEMS devices.
- Developed and applied finite difference time-domain
simulation codes for optical waveguide propagation.
- Developed and applied boundary extrapolation programs
for occluded optical beam far-field diffraction analyses.
- Inventor of an ultra wide-angle, quasi-linear
MEMS mirror actuator design.
- Inventor and co-author on several patent submissions.
1999-2000. Consulting Physicist, JRJ Simulation
- Provided an assortment of design and simulation services.
- Expert in application of simulation for developing design rules
products and for existing product optimization.
- Advanced R&D on acoustic and resistive computer touchscreens.
- Expert in design of 5-wire resistive computer touchscreens.
- Dramatically successful product redesigns.
- Co-inventor on several patents.
1997-1999. Scientist, Elo TouchSystems, Inc.
1991-1997. Industry Consultant.
- Project Lead on all new resistive touchscreen product development.
- Maintained ISO 9001 design documentation on new product development.
- Advanced R&D. Development of design, analysis, and modeling
- Dramatic success in lowering design-related sensor failure rates.
- Instructor for employee training in state-of-the-art touchscreen
- Co-inventor on patent submissions.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Surface acoustic wave and resistive computer touchscreen R&D.
- Developed and applied simulations to verify sensor design principles.
- Developed manufacturing quality key-measures.
- Developed reflective acoustic array technology.
- Developed mathematical models for engineering design.
- Physics, mathematics, wave propagation, acoustics, ultrasonics,
electro-mechanical device modeling and optimization, biological
- Expert in computer touchscreen design and optimization.
- Expert investigator of device design principles via simulation.
- Expert developer of parametric design codes generating CAD files.
- Experienced user of Finite Element (FEA) modeling packages for
2D/3D simulation of electrical/mechanical/ultrasonic devices.
- Expert in 2D/3D Boundary Element and Finite Difference Time
Domain simulation of wave propagation.
- Expert in modeling of acoustic parameters of biological tissues.
- Expert in acoustic mechanisms of dolphin biosonar and hearing.
- Trained user of PZFlex FEA ultrasonic/piezoelectric simulation
- Trained user of ANSYS FEA multi-physics simulation package.
- Trained user of CFDRC FEA multi-physics simulation package.
- Experienced user of 3D scientific visualization (IDL, AVS) and
graphics/analysis (MATLAB) packages.
- Experienced user of AutoCAD; familiar with CAD file formats.
- Experienced user of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other standard
- Excellent personal and public communication, presentation, writing
and teaching skills.
- Author of journal articles and research textbook contributions.
- Award for Outstanding UCSC Teaching Assistant, 1995.